Paignton Town Centre looks tired and unattractive. February this year gave Paignton a glimmer of hope: Victoria Square/Station Approach regeneration approved, with Planning consent in 2018 and construction from Spring 2019. Yet now, just a few months later:
- By conservative elected mayoral decision this, the first of Paignton’s town centre improvements, has been kicked into next year with no firm commitment. Who is to say it will not be kicked further into the future, watered down or even fade away?
- Crossways still blights the town centre after years of no progress or Conservative Council action to resolve. The longer this continues, the less attractive Paignton Centre becomes – an insidious decaying effect;
- Paignton remains the Poor Relation of the Bay. We pay council tax and business rates as the rest of the Bay. Why does Paignton not get its fair share of infrastructure and townscape investment, when the Council is fully aware of our need?
Please sign this petition and support a resurgence of Paignton’s vibrancy.
Petition to the Mayor:
We, the undersigned call upon the Conservative elected Mayor of Torbay to invest in Paignton by:
- reinstating Victoria Road/Station Approach improvements scheme; and
- including in the forthcoming council’s budget the annual sums necessary to service the borrowing to enable the scheme (est. £67,333 p.a.)